Interesting thoughts today  

Posted by: Maria

Several things are going on in my mind today.

First, My SIL who is being treated for rectal cancer is having a really rough time of it right now since she is back on her chemo after the removal of some of her rectum and the resection. This round is "less" chemo than the first but she is so week from the first, plus the two surgeries that all she wants to do is sleep. I know that "this too shall pass" but right now, she and her entire family are having a rough time which brings me to my next set of thoughts.

My niece who has been in foster care since she was 16 graduated HS this year, turned 18 and has now driven cross country with her BF to attend school in PA. She got a bunch of scholarships and had saved some money but has made some decisions that have really altered her projected financial situation. First, my brothers are now involved with getting her a car. Apparently my one brother isn't going to be content with just any car either which is rather annoying since she only has a 4 mile drive to school each day. She has also decided to not live on campus but has found an apartment with the aforementioned BF and so that is even more money. Instead of living with my youngest brother as they had planned on doing this summer, they moved into a rental property that my other brother owns so now they have food and other living expenses this summer they hadn't planned on. In short, my brother (at least one of them) feels that I am not pulling my share of all these extra costs. Funny, when I saw my niece this summer none of this was mentioned and no one has given me any insight on this situation until last night when I was pretty much told I needed to come up with $2000 to help defray those costs. ???? Am I supposed to pull that out of my ear or what? I was out of work for 2 years before I went to work for Sam's and had only been at that for 8 months before my husband got laid off in January. He only went back to work full time a couple of weeks ago. We are living pay check to pay check right now. I don't see why just because she (or someone) decided that this is how she wants to do things that we all need to support her for 4 years while she does them. She is planning on working but has no job right now. I know that we should fill the gap for her parents but I have no clue how I am going to do that when I am fighting to keep our heads above water here. Needless to say, I am living with this huge knot in my stomach right now epsecially since my brother pretty much told me that I should forego my upcoming trip to the family reunion in NY in 2 weeks and use that money to help Liz. I look forward to this trip every year. It si the only time this summer that I will get to see my family. This is my major relaxation for the summer. I am not going to give this up. Tough nuts.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the .

1 comments

Anonymous  

Not that my opinion really means a lot but I'm with you on this. Your niece had other choices she could have made to make expenses easier and who ever it was who decided she needed a nicer car-- maybe they need to pay extra costs. You don't sound like you are in any position right now to be forking out money that you don't have! And if you don't take a break (upcoming trip to NY) you might just end up not working on a more permanent basis! You need to de-stress or you could develop some serious health issues... then what help could you be? Offer what you can right now---the all important encouragement and emotional support! Money isn't everything.

Post a Comment