Memory Lane via books  

Posted by: Maria

I was reading a post on a BB about someone re-reading Nancy Drew books she had saved since a kid (since she was out of anything new to read) and she really found them boring. My jaw dropped. I am without a doubt a mega Bibliophile. I read nearly every day and I am not picky about it either although I have to admit that trashy romance novels are not my thing. I loved Nancy Drews as a child and still do. Although I haven't read the more recent ones, I have re-read mine dozens of times. I have some of the original ones too. Anyway, this post got a friend and I talking about books were read and loved as kids so I started looking for some of these on the Internet and boy oh boy there is just a treasure trove out there. It also seemed that when I remembered one, sometimes that lead to another.

I was lucky as a child that I lived within walking distance of a library. At the time, the limit a child to check out was 5. I remember one summer going to the library several times a week to get books and the librarian didn't believe I was reading all of them so she started quizzing me. She ended up raising my limit to 10 books before too long. :-)

Cicero said A room without books is like a body without a soul. I think that the books I have read over my lifetime have shaped me as surely as the ocean shapes a coastline. It is amazing to me the number of books I remember reading as a child so here are a few of them and links to some information about them!

Nancy Drew Mysteries I still want to believe that River Heights is in NJ! It made things so much more real!!
Donna ParkerSummer camp, boy friends and being a bridesmaid!
Misty of Chincoteague DEVOURED these one summer sitting in what passed for a tree house!
All of a Kind Family Who knew I was learning about the Jewish Culture!
No Children, No Pets I got this book from a weekly reader ad!
A Lantern in Her Hand I still remember buying this book with my birthday money from the Scholastic Book Mobile that came to my middle school! :-)I recently found a re-print copy and have re-read it and STILL love it! Maybe one of my hands down all time favorite books!
Little House on the Prairie
Janet Lennon of the Lennon Sisters had a series of books that I loved but I haven't found a good page about them yet!

I know I will think of other books I loved. I will add them to a list. Why don't you add yours as well?

I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Anna Quindlen

This entry was posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 comments

Post a Comment