Catching up  

Posted by: Maria

We had a busy weekend that just rolled right on into Monday and Tuesday so I am just now getting a chance to write here.

On Sunday afternoon my youngest son decided to "explore" the crawl space over the ceiling in our dining room. We recently discovered that under the nasty, painted paneling in our bed room is tongue and groove pine. I have been pulling the paneling off in an effort to start refinishing the pine. In doing so we discovered that someone along the line had cut a hole in the wall (through the lovely tongue and groove) that gave access to the crawl space in the dining room. We would loved to have known this earlier when we were refinishing the dining room and kitchen and struggled mightily to run new wiring but that's another story. I should say that least a portion of this house (we were told) was built before the Civil War so it is old. The crawl space if full of blown in insulation and he started digging around and came up with some real treasure (at least to us history buffs). We now have a rubbermaid tub full of old text and reading books, homework assignments, WMU tracts, pictures, postcards and other various turn of the century memorabilia.

Some of the books had peoples' names in them so on Monday I went to the court house and started tracing the property deeds. I was able to locate them back to 1860 so I have a complete line of who has owned this property for over 140 years. Pretty neat huh? Handling those old hand written deeds gave me a thrill for sure. I think I may have missed my calling and should have majored in history. No laughing D.C.!

Today I headed to the main county library in Covington and dug into the genealogy section. Unfortunately, it was pretty much for naught since most of the information I need is in the 1940 census which hasn't been released yet. I also tried tracking tax records to see if I could tell which parcel of land (of 2 that were split) our house is actually built on and if I could find out when it was actually built. Most of that stuff is on microfilm and poor quality MF at that so I really couldn't find the information I needed in spite of an hour or so of squinting at the grainy screen, a growing migraine and a bunch of dimes sacrificed to try and print something legible.

Our library actually has a great section on Kenton County history and I learned a lot. I am going to try and see if I can talk to one of the women whose name I found in one of the books. She lives about 3 miles from me and I have met her several times. Maybe she can give me more information on the family.

Well that's my adventure for this week so far. Tomorrow it is back to putting together PowerPoint presentations and attending another regional planning meeting.

OK, off to make dinner.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 comments

Post a Comment